Power-managment of slave nodes

Michael Stein mas at ucla.edu
Tue Mar 6 13:03:21 PST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 02:09:53PM -0600, Kyle Sheumaker wrote:
> I have played with wake-on-lan and not had a lot of luck.  It is a special
> packet (http://www.scyld.com/expert/wake-on-lan.html), but some motherboards
> / nics just don't seem to want to "wake."
>
> They aren't cheap but I would suggest something like the APC masterswitch,
> it's a network controllable power switch
> (http://www.apc.com/products/masterswitch/index.cfm).  I've used them before
> their pretty cool, web, telnet, and SNMP controllable.

I haven't tried this but have had the idea to connect a optical isolator
output directly to the "power" button wires.  Then the isolator could
be driven by any logic signal I wanted with a simple series resistor.
The neighboring nodes printer ports come to mind.  A few diodes for
or logic could allow more than one node to control each node's power.
Minimum hardware, all the rest would be software (A TCL display of nodes
with click to power up?).

A few more isolators would allow sensing power status and reseting
(without powering off) nodes.

This probably requires normal ATX type power supplies....