Power-managment of slave nodes

Velocet mathboy at velocet.ca
Tue Mar 6 12:51:10 PST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 02:09:53PM -0600, Kyle Sheumaker's all...
> I have played with wake-on-lan and not had a lot of luck.  It is a special
> packet (http://www.scyld.com/expert/wake-on-lan.html), but some motherboards
> / nics just don't seem to want to "wake."
>
> They aren't cheap but I would suggest something like the APC masterswitch,
> it's a network controllable power switch
> (http://www.apc.com/products/masterswitch/index.cfm).  I've used them before
> their pretty cool, web, telnet, and SNMP controllable.

Could also try wake on MODEM as well - just write up a DC9 connector
for the serial port, and tweak whatever pin it is that it listens on
(could be RING or CD pins or both). Alot of BIOSes support wake on modem.

Could also set it to wake on serial mouse, same idea. Just tweak the
RX pin - my Windoze box at home wakes when I hit the mouse, so I know
it must be doing something like that. The mouse still has power enough
to send a signal back to the board and the system wakes. If its not
in full 'power off' but just in standby, then all the better - standby
mode might be low power enough for what you are looking for, if it
actually ramps down the MHZ of the CPU and all that. (I know my
power supply fan isnt on when its in standby mode, so it must be
running cool enough to not need it).

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA