Typical hardware

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Mon Mar 5 10:56:28 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 12:55:41PM -0500, Carpenter, Dean wrote:

> There are no commercial products out there (that I've been able to find that
> is) that will do this.  Essentially this will be an open 1U case, holding
> two motherboards, drives, floppies and power supplies.

Ah, if you're wanting an *open* case, then why not just screw the
motherboards onto standard rack shelves? That's how the Centurion II
cluster was done at the University of Virginia. The vendor who thought
it up was a small company called Atlantek. That was 2U/motherboard
because we needed a couple of PCI and benders weren't cheap yet. At 2
motherboards per U, getting the cooling right is a bit more difficult.
That's why I advise pricing cases from the vendors who sell cases.

-- g