Questions and Sanity Check

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Fri Mar 2 11:38:25 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 10:38:43AM -0800, Jag wrote:

> I'm not sure hwo the caching of actual programs would work, but the
> dynamic caching of libraries sounds like a really good idea,

You can cache programs the same way as libraries. The trick is that
you need to know when a program has changed, and so if you're too
cheap to do a MD5 hash over it, you might go with just size and date,
which might lead you astry.

Legion caches binaries like that, but in the Legion case, you have to
explicitly tell the system "I'm giving you a binary for AlphaLinux and
x86Linux now". So Legion knows it hasn't changed without having to MD5
it. In Linux you can change the binary at any time without the system
noticing.

-- g