Total Cost of Ownership and porting (was FW: Can we have a moment of silence (or several million dollars) . . . please?)

Schilling, Richard RSchilling at
Mon Jun 25 19:08:51 PDT 2001

Here's to you Greg . . . with all the ranting aside, how much cost will the
disappearance of the Alpha and subsequent porting of software add to the
commodity cluster?  This is a very important consideration when we figure up
total cost of ownership.  I'm sure NASA and others are busy refiguring their
future projects (if they go out four years).

Any thoughts?  All of our existing hardware, Alpha, Intel, and otherwise
will become unavailable due to natrual end of life cycles, and porting is

Haven't seen much discussion here on it . . .