[A small little survey]

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jun 21 11:22:17 PDT 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Chris Black wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 12:39:09PM -0400, Joey Raheb wrote:
>  > No problems with the setup, only thing with AMDs you have to append the
> > following to the lilo.conf append="x86_serial_nr=1" that was the trickiest
> > thing we encountered.
> So, why was the "x86_serial_nr=1" kernel option required for AMDs?
> What does it do?
> Chris

It isn't required for AMD's per se because we've never used it and ours
work fine.  I'm running 1.33 GHz Athlons on MSI motherboards and they
work flawlessly.

BTW -- Jared DID ask that we all reply to him privately and offline to
avoid swamping the list with what could be hundreds of responses.  This
seems reasonable, no?

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu