Scyld with diskless

David Leunen leunen.d at
Thu Jun 21 01:54:21 PDT 2001

I want to install Scyld Beowulf (2.0 Preview Release) on a cluster with
diskless slaves. Can somebody tell me what configuration I have to do?

My /etc/beowulf/fstab lokks like this:

/dev/ram3       /       ext2    fs_size=65536   0 0
none            /proc   proc    defaults        0 0
none            /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620  0 0
$MASTER:home    /home   nfs     defaults        0 0

Is that alright? what is the fs_size?
Do I have to run beofdisk, or just to boot the slaves with boot-disks?

When I boot the slave, It says:

System boot phase 1
eth0: 3Com 3c905c Tornado at 0x800, *** INVALID CHECKSUM 0021 ***
sending RARP requests..
RARP: 00:04:76:20:00:CF ->
boot: Connecting to

Then it gets stuck. What is wrong? In beosetup, I dragged the MAC adress
to the center panel and clicked "apply".

(Have I misconfigured the network on the master? How can I know what
ethernet card is the cluster one? I put eth0 for the beowulf ethernet.
If it was the other I wouldn't see the MAC addresses in beosetup ,...

Any help would be appreciate.
Thank you.