liquid nitrogen cooling a possibility?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jun 18 14:11:59 PDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Steve Wickert wrote:

> Please, no oozing, oily packages ;-)

Oh, Alaska is OK and (free) cool dry AIR is DEFINITELY ok;-)

I'd be interested in the routing and bandwidth issues (if any)
associated with an Alaska-based data center serving East-coast
businesses.  West too, actually.  I count 18-20 hops to e.g. the
University of Alaska at Fairbanks from Duke, with a ping time of around
150-200 msec (vs a typical value of 50-60 for harvard or clemson and
25-30 for a ping to e.g. www.unc.edu 8 miles away).

A fabulously cheap-to-run air-cooled server cluster isn't going to be
very useful if its servers are bottlenecked at any of 16-20 intermediate
network hops.  Network topology and distance matter.

Probably be good for Silicon Valley businesses, but if it were TOO good
(i.e. profitable) somebody would just stick a heat exchanger into the
water off of California and use it to cool air and provide the service
locally.

   rgb