Scyld with 2.4 kernel?

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Fri Jun 15 15:10:14 PDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Mike Weller wrote:

> Does anyone know when Scyld plans on releasing their OS based
> on the 2.4 kernel?
>
> On May 9, Sean mentioned that they were working on a new release.
>
> I would like to have the 2.4 kernel for a couple reasons... I heard
> that it had more efficient networking, Gaussian was more stable running
> under 2.4 than 2.2 (according to someone on the list), and bigmem
> support was builtin.
>
> Since our nodes each have 1.5G of RAM, I was upset to find out that
> the OS only saw 1G of RAM, whereas I saw 1.5G when I was using an
> unmodified Redhat 6.2.  It turns out from looking at Scyld's kernel
> source, they removed "bigmem" support, which I had to put back in by
> recompiling the kernel.  Apparently, they used RedHat 6.2, took
> the 2.2.17 kernel from kernel.org, and then applied a lot of the
> RedHat 7.0 patches to it, along with their "homebrew" patches.
>
> My question is - why was bigmem support removed?  Were there stability
> issues?  Due to subtle line-shifts in the kernel source from 2.2.16 (RH 7)
> to 2.2.17, I had to manually patch a few files by locating the

In our 27bZ-7 release, we took kernel.org's 2.2.17 kernel and applied
minimum patches.  The new release I mentioned earlier is using Red Hat's
2.2.19 errata kernel with all of Red Hat's patches, plus the ones we
need.  The bigmem and rawio patches are are Red Hat's 2.2.19 errata
kernel and will thus be in our next release.

Sean