3ware rmmod - Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference

Tru Huynh tru at pasteur.fr
Mon Jul 30 02:02:41 PDT 2001

Hi,

Just for the record, if anyone running it the same problem
of trying to hotswap an IDE HD on a 3ware 6800 card.

This is the answer I have from support at 3ware.com concerning this
issue...

Stephen Johnston wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a 3ware Escalade 6800 8 port ide card which the o/s sees as
> scis, it works fine, except when you put a new disk onto the card.
>
> With 8 disks if we
>
> rmmod 3w-xxxx
> remove 2 disks
> swap them
> modprobe 3w-xxx
>
> no problems, the card see the disks have been swapped and its fine.
>
> However if we use a new disk the card didnt know about to begin with
>
> rmmod 3w-xxxx
> remove a disk
> replace with a new disk
> modprobe 3w-xxx
>
> there is a segmentation fault with the following error;

<skip oops details>

--
Dr Tru Huynh          | Bioinformatique Structurale
mailto:tru at pasteur.fr | tel/fax +33 1 45 68 87 37/19