some general help in setting up a cluster

Eric Linenberg elinenbe at umich.edu
Thu Jul 26 12:00:08 PDT 2001

I am trying to make it so I do not need to enter a password when I log
into any of the machines.  Here is what I have done so far:

right now the /etc/hosts looks like

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost

#server [octavian]  #only in the server one
192.168.x.x             octavian.x.x.x          octavian

#this is in every one
10.0.0.1                kitkat.bw.exponent.com          kitkat #server
10.0.0.2                snickers.bw.exponent.com        snickers
10.0.0.3                rolo.bw.exponent.com            rolo
10.0.0.4                twix.bw.exponent.com            twix
10.0.0.5                butterfinger.bw.exponent.com    butterfinger

added the hosts.equiv file in the /etc/ dir that looks as such

twix			guest
rolo			guest
kitkat			guest
butterfinger		guest
snickers		guest
twix			root
rolo			root
kitkat			root
butterfinger		root
snickers		root

added to the /root directory on each node .shosts with all the hosts

twix
rolo
kitkat
butterfinger
snickers

then put the sufficient line at the top of the  /etc/pam.d/rlogin:

auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so

On every node except the gateway, the following has been added to
the /etc/securetty file:

ttyp0
ttyp1
ttyp2
ttyp3
ttyp4

root ftp access has been added to each node by commenting out
root in /etc/ftpusers

#root

-----

I have the ssh daemon running on every machine, and I am running RedHat
7.1 so, what am I doing wrong?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric