Dual Athlon boot times... (fwd)

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Jul 26 02:22:25 PDT 2001

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
ICBMTO  : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 25 Jul 2001 23:35:49 -0600
From: Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com>
To: LinuxBIOS <linuxbios at lanl.gov>
Subject: Dual Athlon boot times...

I have been steadily working out the last of my stupid bugs
on the dual athlon.  The most obvious one was testing with caching
disabled to make certain all of the pieces worked, and I forget to
turn it back on again :)

At any rate for fun my boot times are currently running.
1 second until etherboot is started.
1 second to load the kernel over the network.
And about another 28 seconds of starting the linux kernel,
and probing the empty SCSI and IDE busses :)

I finally found the trick to writing the Adaptec device id so I can
actually use the SCSI driver unpatched.

The only remaining big bug is I don't have DMA enabled on the IDE
hard drive but that should be relatively straight forward.

Eric