BLAST and other parallel sequence comparison programs

Patrick Geoffray patrick at
Sat Jul 14 14:09:32 PDT 2001

Martin Siegert wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:28:09PM -0400, William Pearson wrote:
> >
> > To my knowledge, there is no generally available parallel implementation
> > of BLAST.
> There is BLACS and PBLAS (part of ScaLAPACK).
> All available at

BLACS (Basic Linear Algebra Communication Subsystem) is a communication
abstraction for parallel linear algebra librairies.
PBLAS is a parallel implementation of the BLAS (Basic Linear Algebra
a set of LA operation (vectors and matrices).

I do not see the link with BLAST (Basic Local Alignment Search Tool)
used in the
genomic world. Names are very close, but that's all :-)

|   Patrick Geoffray, Ph.D.      patrick at         |
|   Myricom, Inc.            |
|   Cell: 865-389-8852           325 N. Santa Anita Ave.  |
|   Fax:  865-974-1950           Arcadia, CA 91006        |