Intel compilers for Linux 5.0 beta

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at
Fri Jul 6 09:46:36 PDT 2001

Yes, we should turn on ALL possible optimizations...

One more important optimization we should do: "Profile-Guide
This works by:
1) compile with the profiling code inserted by the compiler (-prof_gen)
2) run the binary, and the trace information will be written to disk
3) feed the information back to the compiler (-prof_use)

The Intel compiler can optimize the code in each procedure and can also
relocate the procedures so there is less page faults, cache misses.
(Also, it does function inlining if possible)

Also, from Aceshardware, the new "Intel C 5.0.1 Beta compiler" can
vectorize so of the loops in their benchmarks. Even if this is not
possible, it can "fix" the stupid x87 fp-stack by using SSE2, which
provides much better fp performance by reducing the number of FLD and
FXCH instructions.