Supermicro LE vs HE-SL chipsets

Ray Muno muno at aem.umn.edu
Fri Jan 26 07:40:03 PST 2001

We tested different things on a few HE-SL and LE based boards.  In the default
setup, we found the LE to be faster than the HE-SL.  After tweaking settings
on the HE-SL board, things improved and pushed the HE-SL ahead of the
LE based machines.  We ran a variety of tests, both benchmarks and our
own codes.

We did our testing remotely with a very cooperative vendor (Atipa-DCG).

On the SuperMicro board, there is a "use optimal" setting which improved
things over the default.

The BIOS allows you to twiddle with the CAS memory paramaters.  At this point,
we have not determined if CAS 2 versus CAS 3 memory makes any difference on
a ServerWorks based board.  Has anyone made this determination?  I would
love to hear feedback.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 09:54:19PM -0500, William R. Pearson wrote:

> Unfortunately, I am still in the process of evaluating dual processor
> boards based on the Supermicro LE and HE-SL chipsets.
>
> One of the vendors I am working with suggests that the HE-SL has
> considerably lower performance than the LE chipset, which seems
> surprising considering the HE-SL chipset supports interleaved memory.
>
> Does anyone have experience with boards based on the two chipsets?
>
> Bill Pearson

 Ray Muno                           http://www.aem.umn.edu/people/staff/muno
 University of Minnesota                          e-mail:   muno at aem.umn.edu
 Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics               Phone:     (612) 625-9531
 110 Union St. S.E.		                     FAX:     (612) 626-1558
 Minneapolis, Mn 55455