Rack mounted systems.

Brian Marsden marsden at scripps.edu
Wed Jan 10 15:20:47 PST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Walter B. Ligon III wrote:

> There is a company that sells a case that will put 3 nodes in 1U.  That is
> the most dense I have seen.  Of course, you have to buy from them (including
> their mainboard, I think) and I have doubts about cooling in those things.

Racksaver (racksaver.com) do these. I have experience of these nodes (6
800MHz Pentium III's per 1U box). Yes they are hotter than a 4P1U system
(unsurprsingly) but I have experienced no problems with heating issues
(and this is a 128 processor system in an enclosed rack). Each 1U box does
not seem to pump out much more heat than a 2U API UP2000 box (although
this is purely qualitative).

Brian Marsden

 Brian Marsden        			  Email: marsden at scripps.edu
 TSRI, San Diego, USA.  Phone: +1 858 784 8698  Fax: +1 858 784 8299