Xeon vs MIPS

Andreas Boklund andreas at amy.udd.htu.se
Tue Jan 9 08:15:24 PST 2001

Hi!

When i read your mail i got curious over why you would want
to add 2* 8-processor machines to your cluster.

Sure the XEON processors are nice (we have a 4*PIII 550 xeon and
thanx to the cash it sometimes beat the main node of my cluster,
a dell 220 which has 2*PIII 866mhz on single runs and with other
programs it doesnt give me any speed increase over a single
PIII 550. Be sure to check the impact of the cash on your
application.

I made a fast comparition of some "virgin" computers from Dell:

1* DELL 8450 with 8*PIII XEON 700mhz and 4gig ram costs 500 000 SEK +taxes

1* DELL 6400 with 4*PIII XEON 700mhz and 2gig ram costs 200 000 SEK +taxes
	2 * DELL 6400 has 8 PIII XEON 700mhz processors
	and costs 400 000 SEK + taxes.

1* DELL 420 with 2*PIII 1000mhz and 256m ram costs 28 000 SEK +taxes
	20 * DELL 420 has 40 PIII 1000mhz processors (133mhz FSB)
	and costs 560 000 SEK + taxes.

It might be that your problem takes a lot of benefit from the large cash
of the Xeon processors, or that it requires a lot of network traffic. If
it doesnt i would definately think that last alternative would be a lot
more tempting 10*dual PIII 1000mhz would cost around 280 000 SEK + taxes.

I have a cluster wich consists of 10 Dell precision 220's, i have had a
small problem with the network interfaces but i think it will be fine now
since i applied the latest drivers(edited jan 1'st)

I hope i didnt waste the skin on my fingers, and that atleast someone
finds this a little interesting :)

//Andreas

*  Administator of Amy(studentserver) and Sfinx(Iris23) *
*   Voice: 070-7294401                                  *
*   ICQ: 12030399                                       *
*   Email: andreas at shtu.htu.se, boklund at linux.nu        *
*   That is how you find me, How do -I- find you ?      *