3COM Gbit NIC drivers - from Beowulf digest, Vol 1 #658

Richard Fryer rfryer at beomax.com
Mon Dec 10 10:49:28 PST 2001

On 20 Nov, Nirmal Bissonauth commented on 3COM 3C996 Gigabit Ethernet
Drivers:

We tried several of these NICs in October.  We were unable to get the March
2001 drivers to run stably on the Tyan 24xx motherboards.  With even
moderate traffic, the system would lock under (I think) 2.4.13.  Ping worked
though.  Didn't try it with older kernels cited on the 3COM site (2.4.0 and
2.2.x).

The Tyan newsgroup also reports problems with this NIC under W2K and there
are supposed to be patches available via 3COM tech support.  We haven't yet
gotten a reply from 3COM tech support regarding the Linux drivers.

We moved on to other things and I'd hoped to see someone else's comment here
about revised drivers.  If there has been one, I haven't seen it.