Mass Storage and Parallel I/O -- IEEE & Wiley Press's new book

Rajkumar Buyya rajkumar at csse.monash.edu.au
Sat Dec 8 23:54:34 PST 2001

----------------- A     N E W     B O O K     A N N O U N C E M E N T --------------------

       High Performance Mass Storage and Parallel I/O: Technologies and Applications

                     A Joint Publication of the: IEEE and Wiley Press

                     Edited by: Hai Jin, Toni Cortes, Rajkumar Buyya

             Foreword by: David Patterson, University of California @ Berkeley

Today’s data-driven high performance computer technologies demand reliable delivery
systems that combine high-level computing, storage, I/O, and network communication
performance.  Due to the growth of Internet-driven applications like digital libraries,
virtual laboratories, video on demand, e-commerce, web services, and collaborative
systems, issues such as storage capacity and access speed have become critical in the
design of today's computer systems.

High Performance Mass Storage and Parallel I/O fills the need for a readily accessible
single reference source on the subject of high-performance, large scale storage and
delivery systems, specifically the use of Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks (RAID)
that are accessed using parallel input/output (I/O) architecture. The authors, all
internationally recognized experts in the field, have combined the best of the current
literature on the subject with important information on emerging technologies and future
trends.

Topics covered include:

  * Redundant Disk Array Architectures
  * Fault Tolerance Issues in Disk Arrays
  * Caching and Prefetching
  * Parallel File Systems
  * Parallel I/O Systems
  * Parallel I/O Programming Paradigms
  * Parallel I/O Applications and Environments
  * Emerging Technologies and Future Trends

A valuable resource for both students and computer technology and professionals in the
field, High Performance Mass Storage and Parallel I/O delivers state-of-the-art
information that will help today’s system designers and application developers meet the
increasing demand for high-performance, large-scale storage systems.

For further information and sample chapters (RAID and Infiniband) browse the book website:
          http://www.buyya.com/superstorage/

The book is available from:

 Wiley: http://www.wiley.com/Corporate/Website/Objects/Products/0,9049,1848692,00.html
 Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471208094/rajkumarbuyya
 Fatbrain.com: http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0471208094&vm=

Table of Contents

Foreword
Preface

*** PART I Introduction to Redundant Disk Array Architecture ***

1 A Case for Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks (RAID)
David Patterson, Garth Gibson, and Randy Katz

2 Disk System Architectures for High Performance Computing
Randy H. katz, and Garth A. Gibson and D. Patterson

3 The Performance of Parity Placements in Disk Arrays
Edward K.Lee and Randy H. Katz

4 A Performance Comparison of RAID-5 and Log-Structured Arrays
Jai Menon

*** PART II Advanced Disk Array Architectures ***

5 Parity Logging Overcoming the Small Write Problem in Redundant Disk Arrays
Daniel Stodolsky, Garth Gibson, and Mark Holland

6 Distributed RAID - A New Multiple Copy Algorithm
Michael Stonebraker and Gerhard A. Schloss

7 The HP AutoRAID Hierarchical Storage System
John Wilkes, Richard Golding, Carl Staelin, and Tim Sullivan

8 Scalable Distributed Log Structured Arrays
Witold Litwin and Jai Menon

9 Comparison of Sparing Alternatives for Disk Arrays
Jai Menon

10 Destage Algorithms for Disk Arrays with Non-Volatile Caches
Anujan Varma and Quinn Jacobson

*** PART III Fault Tolerance Issues in Disk Arrays ***

11 Failure Correction Techniques for Large Disk Arrays
Garth A. Gibson, Lisa Hellerstein, Richard M. Karp, Randy H. Katz and David A. Patterson

12 Tolerating Multiple Failures in RAID Architectures with Optimal Storage and Uniform
Declustering
Guillermo A. Alvarez, Walter A. Burkhard, and Flaviu Cristian

13 Parity Declustering for Continuous Operation in Redundant Disk Arrays
Mark Holland and Garth A. Gibson

14 The EVENODD Code and its Generalization
Mario Blaum, Jim Brady, Jehoshua Bruck, Jai Menon, and Alexander Vardy

*** PART IV Caching and Prefetching ***

15 RAPID-Cache--A Reliable and Inexpensive Write Cache for Disk I/O Systems
Yiming Hu, Qing Yang, and Tycho Nightingale

16 Informed Prefetching and Caching
R. Hugo Patterson, Garth A. Gibson, Eka Ginting, Daniel Stodolsky, and Jim Zelenka

17 Practical Prefetching Techniques for Multiprocessor File Systems
David Kotz and Carla Schlatter Ellis

18 Design Issues of a Cooperative Cache with no Coherence Problems
Toni Cortes, Sergi Girona and Jesus us Labarta

19 Collective Buffering: Improving Parallel I/O Performance
Bill Nitzberg and Virginia Lo

*** PART V Parallel File Systems ***

20 The Vesta Parallel File System
Peter F. Corbett and Dror G. Feitelson

21 The Zebra Striped Network File System
John H. Hartman and John K. Ousterhout

22 PPFS: A High Performance Portable Parallel File System
James V. Huber, Jr., Christopher L. Elford, Daniel A. Reed,
Andrew A. Chien, and David S. Blumenthal

23 The Global File System
Steven R. Soltis, Thomas M. Ruwart, Grant M. Erickson,
Kenneth W. Preslan, and Matthew T. O'Keefe

24 Serverless Network File Systems
Thomas E. Anderson, Michael D. Dahlin, Jeanna M. Neefe Matthews,
David A. Patteson, Drew S. Roselli, and Randolph Y. Wang

*** PART VI Parallel I/O Systems ***

25 Parallel I/O Subsystems in Massively Parallel Supercomputers
Dror G. Feitelson, Peter F. Corbett, Sandra Johnson Baylor, and Yarsun Hsu

26 RAID-II: A High-Bandwidth Network File Server
Ann L. Chervenak, Ken Shirriff, John H. Hartman, Ethan L. Miller, Srinivasan Seshan,
Randy H. Katz, Ken Lutz, David A. Patterson, Edward K. Lee, Peter M. Chen, and Garth A.
Gibson

27 Petal: Distributed Virtual Disks
Edward K.Lee and Chandramohan A. Thekkath

28 A Cost-Effective, High-Bandwidth Storage Architecture
Garth A. Gibson, David F. Nagle, Khalil Amiri, Jeff Butler, Fay W. Chang, Howard Gobioff,
Charles Hardin, Erik Riedel, David Rochberg, and Jim Zelenka

29 RAID-x: A New Distributed Disk Array for I/O-Centric Cluster Computing
Kai Hwang, Hai Jin and Roy S. C. Ho

30 Designing a Self-Maintaining Storage System
Satoshi Asami, Nisha Talagala, and David A. Patterson

31 Modeling and Evaluation of Fibre Channel Storage Area Networks
Xavier Molero, Federico Silla, Vicente Santonja and Jose Duato

*** PART VII Parallel I/O Programming Paradigms ***

32 Overview of the MPI-IO Parallel I/O Interface
Peter Corbett, Dror Feitelson, Sam Fineberg, Yarsun Hsu, Bill Nitzberg,
Jean-Pierre Prost, Marc Snir, Bernard Traversat, and Parkson Wong

33 Disk Resident Arrays: An Array-Oriented I/O Library for Out-of-Core Computations
Ian Foster and Jarek Nieplocha

34 Active Disks: Programming Model, Algorithms and Evaluation
Anurag Acharya, Mustafa Uysal, and Joel Saltz

35 Disk-directed I/O for MIMD Multiprocessors
David Kotz

*** PART VIII Parallel I/O Applications and Environments ***

36 Applications-Driven Parallel I/O
Nicholas P. Galbreath, William D. Gropp, and David M. Levine

37 Comparing Multimedia Storage Architectures
Benoit A. Gennart and Roger D. Hersch

38 High Availability in Clustered Multimedia Servers
Renu Tewari, Daniel M. Dias, Rajat Mukherjee, and Harrick M. Vin

39 An Architecture for a Scalable High-Performance Digital Library
R. Grossman, X. Qin, W. Xu, H. Hulen, and T. Tyler

40 I/O Requirements of Scientific Applications: An Evolutionary View
Evgenia Smirni, Ruth A. Aydt, Andrew A. Chien, Daniel A. Reed

41 Mitra: A Scalable Continuous Media Server
Shahram Ghandeharizadeh, Roger Zimmermann, Weifeng Shi, Reza Rejaie,
Douglas J. Ierardi, and Ta-Wei Li

*** PART IX Emerging Technologies and Future Trends ***

42 An Introduction to the InfiniBand Architecture
Gregory F. Pfister

43 XML, Hyper-media, and Fortran I/O
Dror G. Feitelson and Tomer Klainer

44 I/O Programming Paradigms: Past and Future
Mahmut Taylan Kandemir and Alok Choudhary

45 Scientific Applications using Parallel I/O
Ron Oldfeld and David Kotz