PVFS for scratch? (was lots of other things)

Robert Ross rross at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 7 15:08:40 PST 2001

Selva,

Performance of PVFS depends greatly on access pattern and workload, just
as with any file system.  PVFS tends to do well with large accesses and
handles concurrent access well.

What do access patterns of your application(s) look like?  Are they coded
to use the UNIX interface, MPI-IO, or some higher-level interface?  How
big a cluster are we talking about using (sorry, didn't try to backtrace
the thread)?  These all matter quite a bit.

I'd be happy to talk with you more about this, or you could jump on the
pvfs-users mailing list (info off http://www.parl.clemson.edu/pvfs/) and
ask for some more input there.

Regards,

Rob
---
Rob Ross, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Lab