Mathematics of gigabit question

Jerker Nyberg jerker at update.uu.se
Fri Dec 7 14:43:00 PST 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> "small" megabytes are only used for disks by the marketing (and now
> technical) people. They mostly haven't invaded the rest of the
> industry, so I've yet to see a technical person use "small" megabytes
> for anything but disks. But you need to know the actual clock rates;
> everyone rounds them.

So if you send a megabyte (computer memory) over a computer network (where
you use M=10**6) with megabit per second it will take 8.3886 seconds? And
sending a kilobyte over a kilobit per second computer network will take
8.192 seconds? Am I strange that feel... hmmm... personally offended by
that? :-)

 http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Personally I prefer using (in my opinion) real units (10**3 etc). If I use
the other ones (2**10 etc) I usually have to define what I mean every
time. Unless I use the new prefixes, but then nobody understands me
anyway.

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg,
Uppsala, Sweden.

(Sorry if I'm too off topic with this post... Now I go back to wondering
why this new DLT VS80 tapebackup in a Dell 2500 fileserver believes every
tape is WR_PROT. Hmm. Red Hat 7.2.)