diskless nodes? (was Re: Xbox clusters?)

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Fri Dec 7 01:26:37 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 02:02:04PM -0500, Greg Lindahl's all...
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:11:44AM -0500, Velocet wrote:
>
> > I am sure a number of others' use
> > of clusters also fit into this range, thus my wondering.
>
> Given the poor tone of both this discussion and the one about paying
> more for nodes, most people are being quiet.

Discussing diametrically opposed technological solutions does
not necessarily make it a 'poor tone'. I apologize if my posts
came off that way.

It is a black and white choice "disk or not to disk" and people decide one way
or the other, and I am wondering what makes them decide. I have information
which indicates that for the parameters on the systems I setup it works quite
well. I need someone to point out to me where my reasons are just dead wrong,
or where I dont have enough experience - perhaps they can anticipate where I
will go wrong before I find out the hard way. However, so far, others have
raised points that I've indicated dont necessarily indicate that a diskless
system is a bad choice all round (admittedly I havent gotten through
all of today's posts yet).

Hopefully, even though the issue is more or less black and white "do
I get diskless nodes or not", we can all still learn something about it by
discussing it.

Again, apologies if I seemed to be posting in poor tone.

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA