Xbox clusters?

Brian LaMere blamere at diversa.com
Thu Dec 6 08:31:50 PST 2001

I'm quoting prices off the vendor web pages.  I'm sure anyone would give you
a sizable cut for 128 systems.

HP wanted much more just for a 1gb memory stick (like $1900) than the
systems I bought ended costing complete.  IBM was even more expensive than
HP.  We bought 6 HP lp1000r's and paid almost $8000 for them (each) and then
I got a quote from VA...for a little under $3000.  Then the next day, VA
made their announcement...which cut the price in half...heh.

There's NO reason to need 3 year warranty on a cluster node.  IF a node goes
out, replace it.  HP lp1000r's have had absolutely horrible performance (all
6 I got had to be sent back because the guard around the eth0 port was
misplaced and I couldn't plug a enet cable in.  3 of the replacements had to
be sent back cause they wouldn't even turn on).  Of the 58 VA boxes I got,
not a single one has given me a single problem.

Why pay any premium at all?

If you pay $4000 each for 128 computers, you've spent $512,000.  For the
same $512k, at $3500 each I can have 146 systems.  That's an extra 18
systems sitting to the side as stand-bys, effectively giving you far better
than a premium 4-hour response could - you have a 30 second response.
Remove from rack, replace.  Send bad box back at your leisure.

Like I said...why pay /any/ premium at all?  And I promise that if you had
obtained a quote from someone like VA or advancedclustering (or whomeever)
it would have beat the quote from IBM, Compaq, or HP by more than the 12% in
my example.  Apples to apples.  Its $2537 for a single box.  Ask them what
128 would be.

Isn't the whole point of this for it to be commodity stuff?  If I'm going to
pay crazy prices, I might as well buy a E10k or a zSeries from IBM.  The
point is to buy /cheap/ and save on the cost of such things.  You throw
price to performance rations out the window when you worry about 3 year
on-site warranties.  They're pointless.  I have your 3-year warranty beat to
peices with my 6 spare systems (that hey...I'm able to make a test cluster
out of to boot).

Brian LaMere