Xbox clusters?

Brian LaMere blamere at diversa.com
Wed Dec 5 15:40:01 PST 2001

I spent less than $100,000 on a 48 node dual-1ghz p3 cluster with 2gb ram
each, and hot-swappable 18gb 15krpm drives (all in a 1-U rackmounted
footprint!).  Of course, I cheated at the time (VA linux firesale)...but I
could do the same thing again for about $125,000 in today's prices with
systems that someone else builds, and has a year warranty.

advancedclustering.com, for instance.  For $2537, you get dual p3- 1ghz cpu,
18gb 10krpm hotswap scsi, and 2 gb ram.  All in a 1-U package, all with a 1
year warranty.  Extended warranties available.

Why the hell use HP/IBM/Compaq?  Cost almost 3 times as much.  If I put
together at 100 node advancedclustering cluster, for the same HP price
you'll make a ~40 node cluster.  So...I can have half of my systems be dead
at any one point and be waiting for replacement, and /still/ have far more
systems online.

And as has been stated...I could build the darn things myself even cheaper.
Xbox's have a small footprint - that's in their favor.  Not much else in
their favor though.  People spend $250,000 on 40-node clusters cause
well...their goofy.  That simple, really.  And footprint is very important.
I have 48 nodes in one rack (extended height).  Rent for the floorspace I
suse is low, and I can still get to them all easy.  You don't want a
medium-sized or larger cluster with regular cases, I wouldn't think.

Brian