can mpi_mandel show the performance of scyld beowulf?

Rocky McGaugh rmcgaugh at atipa.com
Tue Aug 28 07:44:11 PDT 2001

Sender: beowulf-admin at beowulf.org

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, [gb2312] wrote:

>   from the web,i know mpi_mandel  can *TEST* cluster.also ,there are a
> program LINPACK to benchmark the cluster..so i want to know that whether
> the result the mpi_mandel got is suit to show the performance of
> cluster?can it compare with LINPACK's result?
>   some days later,i have to present a paper about our beowulf cluster to
> my professor,but there are not enough data to show that the beowulf system
> is work perfectly.
>   i need your help.;)
>   Regards
>   zouguangxian

LINPACK can take quite a while to tune for best performance.

mpi_mandel works, but i've never seen very consistant results from
it. (Maybe i dont hold my toes right.)

If you are looking for some quick, consistant numbers to show off to your
sponser, find an embarrassingly parallel application that has a
near-linear increase in speed with the number of processors.

One such application is MPI-Povray. Onother one is mpi-bladeenc.

--
Rocky McGaugh
Atipa Technologies
rocky at atipatechnologies.com
rmcgaugh at atipa.com
1-800-360-4346 x3110
http://1087800222/
perl -e 'print unpack(u, ".=W=W+F%T:7!A+F-O;0H`");'