Channel Bonding

Michael Sowka msowka at doe.carleton.ca
Wed Aug 15 11:00:20 PDT 2001

Hello,
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with some
question I have about channel bonding. Linux kernel side seems to be
easy enough with the CONFIG_BONDING=Y and other "various" /etc stuff...
but what about the switches?! In the kernel Configuration Documentation
it mentions something like a Cisco 5500 switch... I looked it up and it
seems that the 5000 series switches are the "standard" for what Cisco
calls Etherchannel (Channel bonding = Etherchannel). Now I sorta' assume
that's an expensive piece of equipment, and the goal of our little
project here is to build a very VERY "Class I" system (read: cheap, VERY
off the shelf equipment)... won't a simple 300$ 8-port switch do???
Thanks for any comment and pointers,
Mike

--
|      Mike Sowka                       o      _     _         _         |