Rack mount cases needed

alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com
Mon Aug 6 15:09:15 PDT 2001

hi diego...

- for fun... real prices of parts is shown below too...

these amd'based 1U servers is tough to build..
major heat flow and air circulation problem...

amd chips and intel chips are different height
when sitting on their respective motherboards
and different heatsinks...et...etc..

there are some that have 1U based amd's
( but probably not cheap???

-- you also have a problem with availability of a
   amd motherboard w/ onboard NIC and onboard svga

- we can probably help with some experimental 1Us
  w/ hard-to-find amd fans for 1U

- the 400W power supply issue is typically based for worst cast
  scenario....
	- you need to count and measure power consuption
	for startup and for normal computations

	- power supplys can support extra power spikes
	for a short time period for those spikes in computations
	( its NOT steady state )

==
== air flow and cooling should be the primary issues
==	2U chassis is your best bet if space is not an issue
==

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net
http://www.Linux-1U.net/1U_Others	- listing of amd stuff
http://www.Linux-1U.net/1U_Features/	- dual cpu stuff

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Diego Julian Remolina wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> We are trying to get the parts to build our cluster. The configuration we would like per node is:

	thats 2462UNG
$600	> 1 Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462) With SCSI
$145ea	> 2 Athlon MP 1.2 Ghz (Maybe 1.4 Ghz by the time we order dependingon price)
	$185 - 1.3G   $220 - 1.4

> 4 Corsair RAM 256 MB ECC Registered DDR RAM Modules to add up to 1 GB Total RAM.

	CM654S256-133C2 (256MB).................$65
	ECC Register: 256MB/512MB.......^$115/^$450
        ECC Register(For Dual AMD): 512MB.....^$460

$110	> 1 20 GB ATA100 HDD (with the possibility to expand to SCSI later onif needed)

> We are planning to start with 12 to 16 nodes.

some discounts.... is probably likely...??? depending on vendor