how to tell when jobs are finished

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Wed Aug 1 04:41:37 PDT 2001

On Wed, 01 Aug 2001, Nicholas Henke wrote:

> Hello--
> 	I am writing a resource manager based on top of bproc, and I am
> working on job execution. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to
> tell when a job is finished executing. The only solution that I have
> thought of is to wrap the command in a shell script that tells the
> resource manager that the job is done executing.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm going to assume you're wanting to know how to do this from a
programming level.  My advice is to save the pid of the job, then use
waitpid() with the WNOHANG option to check if the job has finished or
not.  'man 2 wait' for more information on using waitpid().

If this isn't what you're looking for, please give me more information
on what exactly you are trying to do and I'll try to help you out.