RH6.2 and NFS with 2.4.x kernels

Stephen J. Barr steve at yourmailcenter.com
Tue Apr 24 16:16:49 PDT 2001

Greetings!

I am working on setting up a linux cluster of my own, and
am planning to have the slave nodes boot with floppys, and
then mount the required directories over NFS root. I have
read the diskless-BEOWULF HOWTO on Beowulf Underground, and
have gotten some good advice from that, however it was written
for RH 5.2 with 2.2.x kernels. Does anybody know of any
documentation available for NFS root with 2.4.x kernels.
In particular, I am looking for informations on the permissions
needed on the various shares (/tmp, /var, /home, /dev, etc)
and how to set them.

Here is my hardware/software setup:
2x:
	Asus A7Pro MB with Duron 700 mHz processor
	D-Link 530 TX+ ethernet card

SO, it is a 2 node cluster (I will expand once I get some more
$$$, and NFS-ROOT working). THe nodes are connected via 5 port
10/100 switch. THe server has RH 6.2 installed. I am using
Kernel 2.4.3 (on the slaves right now, will recomile the master
soon).

Any pointers to recent documentation on NFS root with kernel 2.4.x
will be appreciated.

/* Stephen Barr */