Scyld & Ramdisk

David Vos dvos12 at calvin.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:57:25 PDT 2001

When I install Scyld, it initially uses Ramdisk for the / partition.  I
used beofdisk to create the two default partitions (a 2 gig swap and the
rest /).  My /etc/beowulf/fstab reads as follows:

# This is the default setup from beofdisk, once you setup your disks.
/dev/hda2       swap            swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3      /               ext2    defaults        0 0

# These should always be added
none            /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

# NFS (for example and default friendliness)
192.168.1.1:/home       /home           nfs     defaults        0 0

According to beostatus (and bpsh 0 free -m) I was using 64MB out of 1011MB
of memory before I changed fstab.  After I changed fstab, I was using
370MB out of 1011MB.  Why the sudden increase?  bpsh 0 df -m shows little
disk space being used. bpsh 0 ps -ef shows few processes running.

Also, just a side note: Why doesn't the default kernel of Scyld include
Ramdisk support?  I couldn't boot my nodes until I recompiled the kernel.
After that, how do you install bproc via rpm?  If I just reinstalled the
rpms via 'rpm -Uvh --force', then I got error messages when trying to run
bpsh (and others).  I had to download the tar file and install that.

David

P.S. Is there a more appropriate place for me to send this?  I don't want
to abuse this list as a Scyld support line.