Disk reliability (Was: Node cloning)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Wed Apr 11 21:08:27 PDT 2001

> When they say "heal", they actually mean "remap to substitute disk
> blocks reserved for this purpose".  They must have thought that the
> concept of remapping disk blocks was too confusing.

Don,

I was under the impression that modern IDE disks automagically remap
disk sectors. The IBM tool looked like it was returning bad blocks to
service if they passed a simple test.

Also, don't modern chipsets do retry for IDE disks without letting the
OS see the retry? SCSI retries show up in syslog, but IDE ones are
hidden.

Perhaps I'm wrong about both of these, but they appear to be common
knowledge...

-- g