Version of gmake for clusters...

Carpenter, Dean Dean.Carpenter at
Wed Apr 11 13:08:05 PDT 2001

Looks like the ANTS load balancing system will do that.

make clean ; make dep ; time make -j16
real    1m34.156s
user    0m29.120s
sys     0m10.640s

1.5 minutes for a full 2.4.2 kernel compilation - that's not too bad :-) The
above was run on a cluster consisting of
3 x 433 MHz Celron
1 x Dual 350 MHz PII
1 x Dual 550 MHz PIII
1 x Dual 500 MHz PIII Xeon

Dean Carpenter
Principal Architect
Purdue Pharma
dean.carpenter at
deano at
94TT :)

-----Original Message-----
From: J.W.Armstrong [mailto:James at]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 9:15 AM
To: Beowulf mailing list
Subject: Version of gmake for clusters...

  Can anyone point me in the direction of a make program which will work
slave nodes on a scyld cluster? I.E. compile different .c/.f files from a
Makefile on different nodes of a cluster. I am using the scyld beowulf

                                                Thanks in advance

Email:  James at

Smail:  Rockfield Software Ltd.
        Innovation Centre, SA2 8PP