Node cloning

JP Navarro navarro at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 5 07:54:17 PDT 2001

Just another tool for cloning disks.

   http://www.mcs.anl.gov/systems/software/city/
   (look for imgdisk near the bottom of the software list)

What makes this tool unique is:

  - Linux distribution neutral

  - can deal with raw partitions for non ext2 file-systems

  - flexible partition sizing configuration:
      can size based on % of disk, % of disk remaining, rest of disk..
      so disks don't all have to be the same size

  - clones MBR, and individual partition boot sectors
      this allows you to have a fully functional disk as soon as it's restored
      without running LILO or boot loaders setup tools
      (if your boot loader cares about kernel location, as LILO does, then
      you need to make sure the partition containing /boot is saved/restored
      in raw form)

Enhancement in the works:

  - support for most mainstream file-systems supported under Linux

JP Navarro
--
John-Paul Navarro                                           (630) 252-1233
Mathematics & Computer Science Division