linux vs tru64 on alpha

David Addison addy at
Thu Sep 14 05:37:03 PDT 2000

Page colouring springs to mind. I've heard user comments that suggest a
30-50% drop off in app performance after a clean reboot run on Linux/Alpha.

Tru64's Advfs filing system doesn't require fsck.

Tru64 probably supports larger memory (unless you are patching a 2.2 kernel
or using a 2.4)

Tru64 has a thread model that you can actually debug ;-)

Not sure about the status of 'Spike' on Linux Alpha, but otherwise the
Compaq compilers have levelled the field somewhat.

I could even suggest that TruCluster is an advantage as it offers SSI for
upto 32 nodes (SC systems only).