Hard disk benchmark

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Sep 4 22:20:06 PDT 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Chris Greer wrote:

> http://oreilly.linux.com/lpt/a/272
>
> The above is mainly for use on IDE drives, but it provides some
> basic tuning suggestions as well.
>

> One of the most popular tools is probably:
> http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/
>

> This one might be of use too, I've never used myself though.
>
> http://www.enjoy.ne.jp/~gm/program/hdbench/

An even better suggestion might be to look up the lmbench suite, which
contains a few disk microbenchmark tools (to separately measure e.g.
latency and bandwidth and a few other things) AS WELL AS tools to
measure just about anything and everything of interest on your system --
memory latency and bandwidth, network latency and bandwidth, the latency
of context switches, page faults, forks, and more.

Performance issues and bottlenecks are quite often multidimensional, but
most of the tools used to examine them tend to be one dimensional.  A
full toolset gives you a much better overall picture of performance and
can often reveal the real problem, even if it isn't something
straightforward.

See:

I'm also giving a short talk on lmbench in the context of beowulfery
next month at ALSC in Atlanta.

   rgb