Using 2 NICS?

Karl Bellve Karl.Bellve at umassmed.edu
Wed Oct 25 11:53:30 PDT 2000

Robert Ross wrote:

> What do you mean "Linux is assigning both IPs to the first NIC"?
> Something like:
>
> # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
> # ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.2

Right, this is the way I set it up.

However, it appears that one of the NICs seems to be used for both IPs.
I am not sure why this happens. I can disconnect NIC #2 and still ping
both IPs. If I disconnect NIC #1 and connect NIC #2, I can no longer
ping either IP. If I use ifconfig -a, it reports correctly. Each NIC has
its own IP, MAC address, mask, interupt etc. I was told that Linux
assigns both IPs to the first working NIC card (eth0) when the networks
are the same.

--
Cheers,

Karl Bellve, Ph.D.                   ICQ # 13956200
Biomedical Imaging Group             TLCA# 7938
University of Massachusetts
Email: Karl.Bellve at umassmed.edu
Phone: (508) 856-6514
Fax:   (508) 856-1840