Errors while installing rpm on a RedHat 6.2 master.

Robert Sand rsand at d.umn.edu
Mon Nov 27 14:02:41 PST 2000

I did do a rpm -U --test on the rpm package and it turned up nothing but when I
did the rpm -U I get this:
package sound.o not found in file index

I made copies of the kernel that was removed removed but the -U option removes
all parts of the upgraded kernel so I have no networking at this point unless I
reinstall redhat.  I modified /etc/lilo.conf to add the new kernel and did
/sbin/lilo, but when I try to boot that kernel I get these messages:

VFS: Cannot open root device 08:07
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs 08:07

Here is a copy of the lilo.conf file that I made for adding the new kernel.
Maybe I have something wrong in it.  There wasn't an initrd file in boot for the
new kernel so I left that out.

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b