NIS?

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Wed Nov 22 19:25:47 PST 2000

> I am in the process of building up a small test cluster,  I was wondering is
> NIS needed and why/why not?  I have NIS setup on the small three node
> cluster, but telnet stopped working?  WHY? When I try to run the
> telnetdaemon it tells me bind: Permission denied.  Someone please help, I'm
> pulling my hair out!

I can't answer your last question, but I can answer your first:
No you don't need NIS.

Since this question comes up once in a while, I've set up a web page that
describes the fairly simple setup that we are using:

http://www.sfu.ca/~siegert/beowulf_setup.html

I hope this helps or at least gets you going. YMMV.
Comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6