Motherboad decision

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Nov 14 11:45:51 PST 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Bob Drzyzgula wrote:
> As a matter of fact, I just also found them listed at
> http://www.cmpexpress.com, again with no stock. Tyan
> has a notice on the Thunder 2500 page, saying they are
> shipping that to OEM customers only, so I wouldn't
> hold my breath there. Speaking of which, I don't understand
> the Thunder 2500 -- it supposedly is a dual *Slot 1* board.
> This makes no sense to me. I'd expect either Slot 2 or
> Socket 370.

My guess is that they couldn't fit two socket 370s on the board, so used the
smaller slot 1 connectors.  With a fc-pga to slot1 converted card, you can
still use FC-PGA CPUs.

I also noticed that both the 370DE6 and the thunder 2500 are Extended ATX, 12"
by 13" boards.  That's something to consider, if standard ATX cases can't fit
these boards.  Does anyone know, how common is it for an ATX case to fit an
EATX board?