Cool it off

Timm Murray admin at madtimes.com
Thu Nov 9 11:34:23 PST 2000

In discussing our plans to build a Beowulf, my high school's computer club
became concerned about heat.  I suggested a system where you stack the nodes
in coloums of three or four computers.  Every three or four rows, you have a
"cooling row."  The cases in the cooling row have holes in their sides, no
actual computer equiptment, and contain only a few power supplies, fans, and
some scrap metal (old hard drives, etc.) for use as heatsinks.  The fans
would be arranged so that the airflow is directed from one end to the other,
thus ensuring a smooth flow.  Holes in the cases allow the air to go between
the cases.

Has anybody tried this before?  Comments?