night-time auto-reboot?

Tomi Suviola tokrsu at math.jyu.fi
Fri Nov 3 01:42:29 PST 2000

Hi

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Yoon Jae Ho wrote:

> > Our department is picking up a few decent PC's for staff.  I'm
> > wondering about the current feasibility of auto-booting in and out of
> > Windows 2000 and Linux on a set schedule (say, out of Windows to Linux
> > at 8pm, into Windows at 6am, or something like that).  We've got a
> > small cluster, and this would be just to augment that.
> >

> It's great idea if we got the automatic multi-booting when expect time
> comes. Because now the PC rooms is occupied by MS. maybe in the fisrt
> step we need coexistence in the ordinary PC.  I try to find out the
> the above funtion from lilo & Grub. but failed until now. Will any
> Beowulfin has idea or script to automatic booting when some time comes
> ?
>
> I need your help !

We did that kind of system for a computer lab. Master node used cron to
reboot all the computers using rsh. All we needed was to setup rsh-daemon
for WinNT and use small utility for Partition Magic to change active
partition and to boot the computer. Linux side is much easier with lilo
and reboot.

Hope this helps.

Tomi

--
Tomi Suviola (tokrsu at math.jyu.fi) (http://www.math.jyu.fi/~tokrsu/)
University of Jyvaskyla,                  Department of Mathematics