batch processing and scheduling

Peter Jay Salzman covenant at dirac.org
Tue May 16 21:48:13 PDT 2000

dear all,

i hear that many sites use PBS for batch processing and MAUI for scheduling.

i'm not so clear on the distinction between batch processing and scheduling.

it sounds like "scheduling" means "when to run this here job".  but that's
exactly what "batch processing" sounds like to me.   we have this queue and
we process it by running "this here job".

sounds the same, or at least, similar.

can someone outline the differences between these two things?

also, i see that MAUI is non-free.  did that play into anyone's decision of
whether to use it or not?

thanks!
pete