kvm questions

Tom Haynes thomas at netapp.com
Tue May 16 08:40:34 PDT 2000

> On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 01:02:53AM -0400, Store11 at aol.com wrote:
>

> i've had a very occasional kbd/mouse glitch (usually related to the keyboard
> getting stuck in control-lock state) which resolves itself after i switch
> back and forth a few times or change VCs in linux.

Okay, I remember doing the switch back and forth bit with my last set
of boxes.  But, if you can not access the keyboard, how do you change
VCs?

After jumpstarting Sun boxes and working with their OpenBoot, I have
been considering a setup like that.  The filers, basically networked
disk servers, that NetApp makes also uses an open firmware concept for
booting.

It sure is nice to know that you can just attach something, including
a palm pilot, to the serial port and then you can interact with the
system.

Some commerical products I have seen in a short search are:

PC Weasel - http://www.realweasel.com/intro.html (Graphics of headless
Linux and *BSD nodes is worth the visit alone)

Firworks - http://www.firmworks.com/ (They say: "The Open Firmware Source",
which I would take to precede the Open Source revolution.)

CodeGen, Inc - http://www.codegen.com/SmartFirmware/

(General Open Firware page: http://playground.sun.com/pub/1275/home.html)

Has anyone used any of these products?

Is there an Open Source implementation of Open Firmware?

--
Tom Haynes
thomas at netapp.com