Abit BP6 stability was: Stability of network cards at 75MHz+

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Mon May 15 22:28:28 PDT 2000

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 11:16:33PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> A further warning to add to Doug's:  If you have any interest in running
> the BP6 nodes with UDMA enabled, you CANNOT overclock.  I believe that
> Mark Hahn noted that in a comment just yesterday or the day before.  You
> will completely screw up critical timing if you do.
>
> I personally run my BP6's at their nice, pedestrian spec speed and they
> are very nice and reliable.

I am running mine at its pedestrian spec as well but I'm seeing lockups every
14 days or so. The machine locks hard so that even a magic sysreq doesn't
work.

I am running a DFE-550TX network card and some low end video card as
additional cards on the motherboard. I've started to suspect the BIOS
is shutting the machine down because of an overheat state -- should
I be using something in Linux to monitor the internal temprature?

Thanks,
Anand