Take any two: motherboard performance, compatibility, value

Josip Loncaric josip at icase.edu
Thu Jun 29 07:00:59 PDT 2000

Douglas Eadline wrote:
> We have Linux working on Serverworks systems. We are still testing, but
> our dual PIII Cu-733 with 1GB PC-133 SDRAM(ecc) gave pretty good stream
> numbers.

Thanks for the info!  I dug around some more, and learned that
Serverworks is kind of stingy with documentation (see
This may imply some difficulties in fully exploiting its nicer features
(64-bit PCI bus at 66MHz, etc.)

I got/found the following references to motherboards using Serverworks

http://www.tyan.com/html/pr_thunders_22400.html (see Thunder 2500)
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/s1867.html (bad link?)

ASL builds a dual Pentium III Linux workstation (presumably using the
Tyan Thunder 2500 board):

The Serverworks option is interesting, but I'd need more info before
buying a system of this type.

Dr. Josip Loncaric, Senior Staff Scientist        mailto:josip at icase.edu
ICASE, Mail Stop 132C           PGP key at http://www.icase.edu./~josip/
NASA Langley Research Center             mailto:j.loncaric at larc.nasa.gov
Hampton, VA 23681-2199, USA    Tel. +1 757 864-2192  Fax +1 757 864-6134