Beowulfs can compete with Supercomputers [was Beowulf: A theorical approach]

Greg Lindahl glindahl at hpti.com
Sat Jun 24 12:38:25 PDT 2000

> > > Have you guys had any experience with comparing the performance of
> > > similar codes on an SP versus a fully distributed cluster with similar
> > > performance and number of processors?
> >
> > No -- there no Alpha slow enough for such a comparison ;-)
> >

> What models have you benchmarked?
> Power3II is quite fast, even compared to a 21264.

No, it's considerably slower. Look at the SPEC95fp results. As for the
graph, it's

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/mm5/mpp/helpdesk/20000106.html

The graph is a bit misleading; the Compaq system that apparently is faster
than mine at the same clock has DDR Sram, which I now offer. The extremely
slow IBM SP result is a 375 mhz Power3.

-- greg