Neural network on beowulf - query

Alan Scheinine scheinin at crs4.it
Fri Jun 23 05:41:48 PDT 2000

Ian McLeod writes:
 > I am intrigued by the concept of running a neural network simulator over a
 > beowulf cluster of a few friends PCs, but as I understand it from the manual
 > and how-to's, this is easier said than done.
 >
 > Only FORTRAN can be run in parralel if I read the literature correctly, C++
 > will not work (or not well at all).
 >
 > Is there any hope for parralel computing?
 > Ian McLeod

Since you will not be using shared memory (you mention a cluster
of computers), you will probably use a message-passing language
such as MPI.  Message-passing works equally well in any language.
For example, I am using MPI to parallelize a Navier-Stokes solver
written in C++.

However, it is time-consuming to write routines to pass nested classes
so you should arrange that the communication only involves simple data
as much as possible.

Alan Scheinine  Email: scheinin at crs4.it