large clusters and topologies

Steffen Persvold sp at scali.no
Sat Jul 29 04:23:50 PDT 2000

Steffen Persvold wrote:

> An Excel worksheet (72kb) with all formulas and nice graphs showing the
> crossing points for different topologies, is also available on request.
> (I'd like to see this on other interconnects as well, so that we can
> _really_ compare them)

The charts (in png format) are at :

http://www.scali.com/scalability/hot-link.png
This chart shows the max bandwidth of the SCI links as a funtion of
number of nodes and topology.

http://www.scali.com/scalability/hot-blink.png
This chart shows the max bandwitdh of the B-Link as a funtion of number
of nodes and topology.

http://www.scali.com/scalability/bandwidth.png
This chart shows the max bandwidth per node as a funtion of number of
nodes and topology. (here hot-link and hot-blink is compared and the max
bandwidth of the interconnect is the lowest number)

http://www.scali.com/scalability/aggregate.png
This chart shows the aggregated (max bandwidth * number of nodes)
bandwidth of a system as a funtion of number of nodes and topology.
As you can see a SCI 3D-torus scales up to roughly 1700 nodes, giving
you a total aggregated bandwidth of 78 GBytes/s

And as a final note I think we all can agree on:

Overall systemscalability is also application dependent.

Best regards,
--
  Steffen Persvold               Systems Engineer
  Email : mailto:sp at scali.no     Scali AS (http://www.scali.com)