Memory

Raghubhushan Pasupathy rpasupathy at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 10:16:50 PDT 2000

Hello Folks,

I am running a sixteen processor  (8 duals with SMP, 256MB memory) cluster
in the School of Civil Engineering, Purdue. Here is my problem:

I run a Fortran program sequentially on a single processor and I am able to
define more than 30 arrays, 900,000 elements (integer) in size without the
machine swapping. In fact, this is still not my upper limit. However, when I
run this code parallely (MPI) on two processors in the same machine, I am
unable to go beyond a 6000 array size. I get a "signal 11" and much before
that the machine starts swapping.

My question is: The numbers do not add up at all. Even if I duplicate all
the arrays for the second process, the machine should easily be able to
handle more than 30 arrays of 6000 elements. I do not understand what is
going on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Raghu

Raghu Pasupathy