Switch question

Franz Marini marini at pcmenelao.mi.infn.it
Tue Dec 12 02:47:20 PST 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, [Windows-1252] Carlos J. García Orellana wrote:

> We are going to buy a switch for our cluster (30 nodes). We have thought in using two 24-port switch (or one 24-port and one 12-port) with stacking capabilities.
> We would like to know if somebody has any experience with these switch:
> * HP Procurve 2324
> * Nortel BayStack 450
> * SMC 6924M
> * 3Com SuperStack 3300 XM
> * Intel Express 510T

  we use a Superstack II 3300 XM for our cluster and we're adding a second
one. From what I've seen it works pretty well, in particular I've found
very usefull the web-based management. I'm not sure if it has the highest
performance (I mean, maybe the HP's has a higher bandwidth, dunno...).

  The only flaw I've found was the auto-negotiation with a DLINK DFE-570
quad tulip card, but in the end it was a problem with the tulip drivers,
not the switch.

 Only my 2cents, hope it helps,

Franz Marini
Sys Admin and Software Analyst,
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.

"There's nothing wrong in M$oft that Linux can't cure..."

email : marini at pcmenelao.mi.infn.it